Monday, February 25, 2008

This Little Light of Mine: Eternal Life

I've been reading Irresistible Revolution by Shane Claiborne. A friend recommended it last week. It's a great read, and really challenging. It gives voice to alot of the feelings I've had for a long time, as a child of God.

In one of the passages I recently read, Shane describes going to work with the Sisters of Charity and Mother Teresa in Calcutta. After serving for a year with them in the streets of Calcutta and the leper colonies, he returned to the States realizing that the United States was his mission field.

A reporter asked him if Mother Teresa's spirit would live on (she had just died). Shane replied with the following statement that I found profound.

To be honest, Mother Teresa died a long time ago, when she gave her life to Jesus. The joy and compassion and love that the world finds so magnetic are only Jesus, and that is eternal.

Alive, I'm Christ's messenger; dead, I'm his bounty. Life versus even more life! I can't lose. -Phil. 1:21 (The Message)

Have you died "a long time ago?" Have I? I pray that the world will be drawn to Christ in me. This is eternal. This is eternal life's purpose. "Give me Jesus!"

Let it Shine! Let it Shine! Let it Shine!

1 comment:

The Blogger said...

Thanks so much...will look into it.

Recently talked to a friend who first recommended the book. Said, "It's really messing me up!"

I was glad to hear that! :D