Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Character: Assets and Liabilities

Occasionally our lives are blessed with people who cause us to be the highest version of ourselves.

By their quiet actions and soft words they inspire the best within us and profoundly change the way we live our lives. They alter us by jarring us from the fantasy world of mindless thought and ill-chosen actions to the reality of conscious and focused habit.
I had such a jarring experience recently.

My most valuable asset is the friend who inspires me to be the best version of myself. In this sense, I am so wealthy!

I've always wanted to be a person of good character. But sometimes I just am not. I'm weak. I make excuses. And honestly, there's a certain comfort in doing the easy thing.

Recently there was an experience I had in which I was making excuses to myself. It felt good to follow the path of least resistence. Perhaps you know this path. First I made excuses to myself. Then I allowed myself "flex" space...I'll go with the flow...up to a certain point.

That was when a friend stood strong and said, "no." There was no accusation and no shame...just the unbending 'no.'

Afterwards, I was so thankful. I hope I will be just such a friend.

No comments: