Thursday, June 19, 2008

Control vs. Direction

I started this set of posts on the mind and thoughts talking about how to control our thoughts;

I close it by dashing all hope. The mind is uncontrollable.

The more you try to control the mind, the more you focus your energy and time in the direction that your thoughts are focused.

If you are trying not to think about a certain subject, the effort of struggling against those thoughts ensures that you will focus exactly where you do not want to. This often leads us to feel despondent and depressed.

At the beginning, I said that there is no hope of controlling your mind or thoughts and this is true. There is hope however of directing your thoughts.

You are like the air controller holding the flashlights before the nose a giant 747. There is nothing in your power you can do to stop the advancement of the plane. If you struggle against it, you will be run over and crushed.

You can direct it, however. You have the power to use your emotions like signals and focus your thoughts to direct the power of your mind in the direction in which you would like to go.

So I have found that my thoughts have great power. They create or destroy but they are not me. And your thoughts are not you. They are just patterns and habits that can be changed and refocused.
And this is encouraging. It is true power--if we have the discipline and energy to use it. The key is focus, focus, focus.

3 comments:

enjoytheworld said...

Great thinking.....But my opinion is your thoughts are you. can you separate yourself and your thoughts? I don't think so! anyway there is a great thinking and analyzing of mind! Great Work! Keep it up!

The Blogger said...

Thanks for sharing your insight. I'll look forward to adding your blog to my blog reader.

I have to disagree with you on one point. I do not believe that our thoughts are synonymous with who we are.

This comes from a belief that human beings at the most fundamental level are spiritual beings. I believe that our thoughts are functions of the mind.

That's the perspective from which my post comes.

Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts!

rubyinparadise said...

couldn't agree more! :)
thanks for posting this. i found it while doing a search on a phrase that has been running through my mind for about a week now: "Use your power in the direction of love." i coudn't find a single attribution for the quote but i did find this lovely post. thanks. :)