Monday, January 14, 2008

Clam Chowder Christianity

The weekend of January 3-6th, I attended the national conference of the Gay Christian Network near Washington D.C. It was an amazing weekend in so many ways, and for me, it was life-changing.

There are so many impressions that remain from the week. But one in particular sticks out. During a break for the evening meal on night, several of us walked a couple of blocks from the hotel to a cozy diner.

We found a table. Actually, we pulled several together so we could all be together. As we sat down, Jay (this is an anonymous blog, so all names are changed) introduced us to an extra member of our party. "Guys, this is Miss Gladys," he announced.

I'd only met Jay the day before somewhere in the rush of registration, meeting new people and starting new friendships. He seemed like a neat guy. And we had something in common. He was in Bible college (and I had attended Bible college...ok, so it's been almost 10 years ago!). But we also had something else in common, it was the first GCN conference for both of us.

Jay is sweet and just makes you want to hug him. The love of God is evident in his smile, his life and his demeanor. After Jay's introduction, we all settled into dinner. I was at the opposite end of the table from Miss Gladys with about 10 people between us, so I didn't notice much about her. I didn't know where she'd come from, but assumed that she was a conference attendee or was somehow connected to us. She was a short woman--a slight frame under a bulky, unfitted coat. It seemed a bit dirty and she wore a stocking cap on her head.

When the server took our orders, I remembered Miss Glady's order, though now I can't imagine why. "I'll have clam chowder," she requested softly. Our food came, the conversation flowed. Before long there was a slight commotion at the end of the table, and we all looked up to see what was going on. Miss Gladys was leaving.

"Good bye," we all saluted her as she pulled on her coat.

At that moment, He showed up. He was standing there before us as a poor woman in a crowded diner. His skin was dark, and his face was weathered. He was tired. But only Jay recognized Him at the time.

"Here, take my coat," Jay offered.

"No, no. That's ok," Miss Gladys objected.

"Please. Take it. I have another at the hotel, and this one zips up," Jay insisted.

Miss Gladys took the bulky leather coat that enveloped her like a cocoon. Then she headed out into the night.

We talked about her after she'd left. I think I said something about being calloused to the panhandlers that lived near where I live. I hadn't seen it at first. But now I know He was there. It was Jesus...He was just in disguise.

"Every one is Jesus in distressing disguise." - Mother Teresa

Inasmuch as ye did it unto one of these my brethren, [even] these least, ye did it unto me. Matthew 25:40 (ASV)

1 comment:

The Blogger said...

Thanks, JJ.

It was a great reminder to me of the importance of being a true disciple of Christ ("all men will know that you are my followers by your love.")