Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Dykes and Dikes

I just finished the most enchanting book. It's called Lottery and is by Patricia Wood. It was inspired by her father winning the Washington State Lottery. Lottery tells the story of Perry, a developmentally disabled man who wins the lottery.

The characterization is precious and the story is engaging. I have not read a story in years that entertained me, challenged me and pleased me as this one did. From start to finish, it is a gem.

Why am I writing about a novel on this blog, though?

Midway through the book, I read something that made me laugh out loud. In it, a reporter comes to interview Perry and his friend, Keith.

I whisper to Keith, "A TV star. Cool."

Keith looks disappointed and whispers back, "A dyke, Per! Just my luck!"

A dike is both something to keep back water and a girl who likes other girls instead of boys. That is interesting, I think. A dam is strong and holds back water. Maybe that is why girls who like girls are called dikes. They must be strong.

Maybe.

2 comments:

ORION said...

Thank you so much! I am so gratified you enjoyed LOTTERY. What a lovely review.
Much Aloha,
Patricia Wood

The Blogger said...

Thank you, Patricia...I was surprised to find your comment, but appreciate it. (When you write a personal book review as I did, you don't expect the author to read it...but now with this wonderful WWW, you can never know who's peering "over your shoulder!")