Saturday, May 17, 2008

K.S.A.S: Knight in Shining Armour Syndrome

This is something I've suffered with often, and I expect that many of us are similarly afflicted. The Knight in Shining Armour Syndrome is a condition that many human beings suffer with at one point or another throughout their lives.

It is predicated by the belief (or strong desire) that the knight in shining armour will show up on a white horse and save the day by rescuing me. I have played this game of delusion most of my life. I don't know why, but it seems like there is something in each of us that drives us to hope in and look for someone to fix us or fulfill us. Yet we know that this is unhealthy and doesn't work. But still, we hope that he (or she) will show up and fix it all.

But I'm learning something that is changing me a little at a time. As I am learning to listen to my own intuition, I'm learning the satisfaction that comes from rescuing myself. This concept is so simple, and brings so much happiness and personal fulfillment, but sometimes the KSAS still kicks in and I look outside myself to find a rescuer.

Every decision that I've made from that place of looking for a rescuer has caused me additional grief and drama. I don't need that!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also have knight and shining aromr syndrome but mine is a little different, I am the knight. I find people in different situations and rescue them, after I no longer need them. This, over the years, has been a breaking point for many relasonships, biblical and plotonic. I rescue girls in bad relasonships and get them to fall for me but by that time I no longer have a need for them. Any comments that may help would be appreciated. THANKS!

The Blogger said...

I have no grand advice. But to me it seems that you are behaving rather selfishly, disguised in a false sense of humility and kindness. I apologize if that seems too harsh.

But you talk of when you no longer need them.

My question is why are trying to make them fall for you? Are you seeking something from them?

If you look at it from the perspective of my original post, I'd encourage you to decide to no longer participate in the dysfunction of the girls you're seeking to rescue. In that decision, you will preclude your own dysfunction by refusing to play the part of perpetrator.

Many blessings!
-The Blogger

Anonymous said...

I have this syndrome really bad. Not as the knight, but as the princess. It's good to hear of someone else trying to get over it, too. I don't want to spend my whole life waiting for someone to show up and fix me. On the other hand I really want to feel pampered, adored and loved by someone who doesn't expect anything in return. It's really very selfish.