Wednesday, February 13, 2008

My "Wondrous Imperfections and Limitations"

I'm reading The Seven Levels of Intimacy by Matthew Kelly. As I was reading last night, I came across an insightful quote.


Strive to become the-best-version-of-yourself and strive to have a great
relationship, but make allowances in your planning and goal setting for the wondrous imperfections and limitations of the human person.


The phrase "wondrous imperfections" struck me. Have you stopped to think about your own "wondrous imperfections and limitations"? Do you really consider them "wondrous"? I don't know that I have or do. It's something that has made me stop to think. Why would my imperfections and limitations be wondrous? Aren't we conditioned from childhood to marginalize our weaknesses and minimize our limitations?

Sometimes a truth resonates with our heart or spirit before it resonates logically. I had this experience when reading this passage. I felt the truth inside before I recognized it.

This is the truth that I realized: My imperfections are wondrous and my limitations should be recognized. I must make allowances for both because of a simple reason. I need other people and they need me. Without our limitations and without our imperfections, we would not need each other for relationship, for love or for any other reason. There would be no drive to connect, to be understood or to be heard. There would be no authenticity and no intimacy.

So I celebrate my imperfections and make space for my limitations. Why? Because it brings so much joy to my life when I can rely on my lover and family. When I see their strengths complimenting my weaknesses, I am blessed and my life is enriched. So make allowances for your imperfections so that others can flourish. Your limitations are wondrous.

No comments: