Thursday, February 21, 2008

Who Am I? Getting to Know the Blogger

Ok...so I know this is an anonymous blog (in the sense that I haven't revealed my name or many facts about me personally). But I do want to allow you to get to know me a bit over the course of writing this blog.

A few nights ago, I was chatting with a friend and he recommended a book. I looked for it at our local library, but couldn't find it in the catalog. Imagine my surprise when I stopped after work yesterday at my local library branch and the book practically "jumped" off the shelf at me! (It turns out I'd mis-spelled 'irresistible'.

I normally go to another branch near my house, but I stopped at this one to pick some DVDs up. I decided to browse a bit and get familiar with it. It's a very small branch, so within about 15 minutes, I was able to walk through the entire building. That fact is what makes it strange to me: that the book that my friend had just recommended would appear where I just happened to stop after work. (Cosmic Hint, I guess)

So...during this conversation with my friend, I was noting my almost bazaar diversity of reading interests. I admit...I'm a recovering book addict. (Ok, I'm not recovering...it's more like indulgent). I've banned myself from entering Barnes and Noble or Borders unless I have a gift card in my hand. Otherwise, I spend to much money. My "replacement" habit is to go to the public library...but that's even worse, and there's no charge. (Unless you count the nearly 40% that the government takes so religiously from my paycheck.)

I think I have Reading Attention Deficit (RAD). I have a copy-paper-case box full of "to read" books from my personal library. And right now, if I look around my bedroom, I have a biography of Cissy Houston (Whitney's mom), A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle, The Son of a Preacher Man by Jay Bakker (son of Jim and Tammy Faye), Unlikely Angel, Choice Theory (psychology), Reagan in His Own Hand (the writings of Ronald Reagan, a book for "Dummies" on web design (of which I know nothing), and a book in Spanish by Isabel Allende.

A few years ago, I heard that if you read a book a week, the knowledge you gain is equivalent to an advanced degree. My attention span when it comes to reading is so short, though, that I don't think I've gotten one class-worth of reading done for any one subject!

No comments: